Tuesday 3 October 2017

Behind the Sun




She was so adept at slipping away that it took Andy nearly two weeks to meet her.  Not on their block, but at Walgreen's, where he'd gone for a candy bar with a couple of his friends.  As Andy passed the magazine aisle he'd noticed her standing by herself, reading a Tiger Beat.  “I’ll catch up to you,” Andy told his friends.  He then casually strolled over to the magazine rack and picked up a Sports Illustrated.

When the girl realized she wasn’t alone she stuffed the Tiger Beat back into the magazine stand.  She tried to walk past him but Andy stepped in front of her.  “Hi there!" he said, smiling broadly.  "My name is Andy.  I live across the street from you.  You moved into the Schuler's old house last month, didn't you?”

The girl nodded, her face flushed.  

"I thought so.  What's your name?” 

"Megan."

Her voice was quiet but unexpectedly firm, not at all in keeping with her mouse-like demeanor.  Fascinated, Andy asked, "What grade are you in?"

“Seventh.  I mean, I will be in August.”

“Hey, that’s great!  I’ll be in eighth.  I can show you around.”

“Okay,” Megan said.  She took a step backward.  “I have to get going.”

“Yeah, sure.  Why don't I take you on a tour this week?  Show you the school and everything.”

“You don’t have to.”

“I don’t mind.  I’ll just stop over, okay?”

"Okay," Megan answered--and looking hunted, she disappeared around the corner.

Andy wasn’t used to girls avoiding him.  He had been popular ever since he could remember.  The guys liked him because he was athletic and outgoing, and the girls liked him because he was athletic, outgoing, and had a mischievous smile.  But he didn’t feel put off by Megan’s behavior.  Something about her little upturned nose and sad brown eyes intrigued him.  He wanted to know more.

Andy returned the Sports Illustrated to the magazine rack and joined his friends in the candy aisle.  "Who was that girl you were talking to?" one of them asked him.  "She's cute."

"She's my neighbor," Andy sharply replied.  "Leave her alone."  His friends grinned and made suggestive noises, but he ignored them. "Come on," he said, grabbing a Milky Way.  "Let's go."  

4 comments:

  1. This was delightful. I really enjoyed it. And I just realized I had completely forgotten Tiger Beat ever existed. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm ashamed to say I bought my own fair share of Tiger Beat back in the day. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Was there a magazine called "16?" I think that's the one I bought! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can believe it--there were a lot of them! :-)

      Delete